In 1910, a group of 49 people gathered for an International Bible Study. Six Cayce residents attended that first meeting and three years later formed the Cayce Methodist Episcopal Church, South. The faithful six first met in an old blacksmith shop. From there, they moved to a store in Cayce and a few years later our first sanctuary, adorned with a shining bell in the steeple, was completed at the intersection of Second Street and Holland Avenue. By 1953, the humble six had become a congregation of almost 500, but their celebrations of growth and success soon crumbled with a devastating fire in 1956.
We still give thanks to God for the vision and dedication of these original six members. Their ambitions to praise God and become an influential presence in the community were the catalyst of Cayce United Methodist Church. It was then that we began to practice our God-given mission “to change lives and transform communities,” a tradition that proudly directs our ministries even until today, 100 years later.
Read more in Chronological History.